Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Do You Know the Facts? Teen Dating Violence

...With his hand at the base of my neck, he pulled me close and kissed me on the forehead. Moving his hand to my jaw line, he raised my chin. I met his eyes.
"I love you," he repeated. "I would never hurt you." He stepped back and smiled.
When he walked away, I was left standing there, wondering why I believed him when my arm was throbbing in pain.

Break From You (available at Amazon.com)


The only statistic I'm going to throw at you is this one...

Mostly because this is shocking. 1 in 3 you ask???? Yep, 1 in 3. And that is way too many.

Some teens don't know the difference between a healthy relationship and an unhealthy relationship. Do you?

Being able to tell the difference is not easy. And maybe that's because most of us don't talk about it. But it's time to talk. 

Let's start with some of the most common warning signs...

  • Checking cell phones, emails or social networks without permission
  • Extreme jealousy or insecurity
  • Constant belittling or put-downs
  • Explosive temper
  • Isolation from family and friends
  • Making false accusations
  • Erratic mood swings
  • Physically inflicting pain or hurt in any way
  • Possessiveness
  • Telling someone what to do
  • Repeatedly pressuring someone to have sex

It isn't always easy to tell if you/or someone you know is in an abusive relationship. And I know it's hard sometimes to start that conversation. But we need to. 

Dating Abuse doesn't always look like this:



So let's chat.

Best to all,
Becca


If you or someone you know is in an unhealthy or abusive relationship, please get help.
Visit loveisrespect.org for more information


No comments: