Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Let's Chat About Healthy Relationships



Let's chat about healthy relationships.

Sometimes we can get caught up in a relationship, lost in the dizzying sensation of being head over heels, or in one for so long that it's all we know.

I've talked and written a lot about abusive relationships, and my book, Break From You is about a teen girl who can't seem to get out of a very unhealthy and abusive relationship, but today I thought we take a turn and talk about what goes into healthy relationships.

Some key points of a healthy relationship...

1. Communication is the key to any good relationship. 
2. Speak up about what is bothering you or how you feel
3. Compromise and equality and know how to admit when you are wrong, but don't lose yourself in the relationship
4. Respect each other
5. Be honest and truthful
6. Build trust
7. Support each other
8. Give and take
9. Keep individuality 
10. Take responsibility

Come check out It's Time to Chat on my new You Tube channel!






Love is not abuse!

Learn what a healthy relationship is.

for more go to 
loveisrespect.org
breakthecycle.org
kidshealth.org/teen

Best to all!

Until next time,

Becca

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

All ten points are important! Communication is definitely number one.

Andrea said...

I will be sure to pass this on to my teens....I have a feeling they will find you cooler and more credible than they do me. Thank you for always having such important messages!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Alex- agreed, communication is so very important in any relationship.

@Andrea- Aww..thanks :)

Robin said...

People who are in good relationships (and are working that list) easily see how important those things are. People who are not in good relationships (and are not working that list) also can see the truth in it, BUT something prevents them from leaving. Maybe they bottom line feel that they don't deserve that good relationship. Maybe they have never seen a good relationship in action to try and create one of their own. The list of Maybes could go on for a very long time.

I know that you are very involved in raising awareness in young adults (and anyone who is living in an abusive relationship). I am coming to the conclusion that anyone who lives within one must get out and heal whatever was in themselves that allowed them to be sucked in to that relationship. They need to believe that they deserve honesty and good communication from their partner. In turn, they need to trust enough to be honest and to communicate... and all of the other things on that list.

I think that your YA book on abuse is one of the best tools out there to cause young people to look at their relationship and ask the imperative question: Is my relationship abusive? How is it abusive? Do I love myself enough to leave? Maybe even... do I love myself more than I Love/Hate the person I am with (doing the abusing)? And even... am I part of the problem? Am I also guilty of verbal abuse? These are all tough questions and answers, but no one moves into a better situation until they start asking and answering them.

I am so glad that you shed light on this difficult topic that is becoming more and more pervasive in our society. Nothing changes until you bring it out of the darkness.

Robin said...

Just wanted to let you know that I dedicated something to you on the Thursday post. Hope you like it:)

Mark said...

And of course love...it encompasses all those points when it's the real thing:)

tree said...

Great pointers. Communication is tops. :)