Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Time to Move! Get Healthy Blog Hop


 Get Healthy Blog Hop hosted by

Blog Hop rules: All you have to do is tell us how you keep in shape. On May 29, 2014 authors, writers, and bloggers will share tips, advice and inspiration for how they keep in shape and stay healthy.
Click here for a full list of participants or to join in on the fun.


How I keep healthy...

 Hula Hooping- 
Typically a childhood activity, hula hooping has a huge number of benefits including increased cardiac endurance and heart health, increased flexibility and spine mobility, increased muscle tone in stomach, butt, arms, and legs-- to name a few. Besides, it's loads of fun. And did you know that you can burn up to 100 calories every 10 minutes of hula hooping???



 Oh the benefits of hiking...there are so many, including increased cardio-vascular health, increased muscle tone, increased bone density, decrease cancer risk and so so much more! The great part? Hiking is so much fun. It is easy to forget you are exercising when you spend most of the time exploring the sites around you.

Swimming. Now that the swimming pool is open for the season, I am planning to spend a lot of time poolside, reading, writing, and blogging- but I also plan on taking time and swimming laps. Swimming is such an amazing activity, and on a hot day, there is no better place to be than in a cool swimming pool!

 

And my favorite activities...Line Dancing!!! 
(Sorry, I didn't have a great picture of me and my line dance buddies...I will have to get some!)
I love music. I love to dance.
Not only do you get great aerobic exercise from line dancing, but it also has many social and emotional benefits. I have made some very special and amazing friendships with my line dancing buddies. I cherish every one of them! And line dancing is a great way to escape the computer screen and all the stress of the day. 
I spend 2-4 hours line dancing a week and rarely miss a class.

It is also important to eat right!

What do you do to stay active???

Have a great day and stay healthy! -Rebecca

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a Colorado writer too! And I love LOVE my mountains and hiking. It's my favorite form of working out. So glad I found your blog-- I am always looking to connect with other CO writers. Yay!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I did a hula-hooping class once, and the next day I could barely move!! Abs on fire :-)

Morgan said...

Oh my gosh! I haven't hula hooped forever! Too awesome, Rebecca! And what a great blog hop. :D

Susan Oloier said...

You rock, Rebecca! I love hiking--especially in Colorado!!! Zane just did some hoola hooping from his wheelchair today at Track & Field Day. I haven't tried it in ages.

SK Anthony said...

Oh my goodness, I cannot hula hoop for the life of me lol Glad you have such fun ways to keep moving ;)

Mark Means said...

I used to be BIG into line dancing, back in the 90s and always found it to be a lot of fun.

Hula hooping takes a lot more coordination that one might think...great exercise, no doubt. :)

Anonymous said...

Great tips! I haven't tried hula hooping in forever. Might have to consider giving it another try.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I had access to a pool, I'd definitely go swimming. Hula hoops burn that much? Don't think I'd try that at the gym though. Fumbling with a hoop would be better in the privacy of my own home.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm terrible at the hula hoop, but I do walk a lot. You're right. It's so important to keep moving.

Coleen Patrick said...

I walk, either outside or in front of the TV. :) I have no idea why, but i've never been able to hula hoop--wah!

Cathrina Constantine said...

I used to love hula hooping. Now for some explainable reason my body doesn't want to go with the flow. But I can still dance!!! Great exercise.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I need to invest in a hula hoop. It's been so long... ;)

Peaches Ledwidge said...

I walk but I should get a hula hoop.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Rebecca,

LOVE the HULA HOOPING!!! Now this Is THE MOST unusual exercise I have see today! And it looks fun and to BURN that many calories! EXCELLENT.

What gorgeous hiking pics. I did a bit over the holidays in western Illinois.. It was so beautiful even in the snow. Talk about a workout?! LOL.

How great that you line dance a few hours a week. I LOVE how active you are. That's why you look so great!

Activity is SO important.

Thanks for sharing your fun workout with us!

Suzanne said...

Love all your choices of exercise, although I can't see me hula-hooping any time soon LOL!
Suzanne @Suzannes Tribe

A Beer for the Shower said...

As a fellow Coloradoan, I also love hiking. This is my favorite time of year for that very reason. I also mountain bike, trail run, do Muay Thai, and Brazilian jiu jitsu. Whew!

Andrea said...

Oh how I love hula hooping, and now I have a reason to!!!

Sandra Cox said...

Wow,this is great. I'm afraid those of us who write spend too much time on our...ahem.... In the fall and winter I do Muay Thai. Haven't hooped since I was a kid. Sounds like all sorts of fun.

Mary Hill said...

Hi, I have nominated you for a Sunshine Award. I love your blog and I love the Moxie Writers too. I read both regularly.

Mary Hill said...

Hi, I have nominated you for a Sunshine Award. I love your blog and I love the Moxie Writers too. I read both regularly.