Monday, May 6, 2013

Are You a Careful Kisser? A Celiac Fact of the Day, and a Big Shout Out!

Are you a careful kisser??
(Teens and food allergies/gluten sensitivities: Celiac Awareness Month)

For most people kissing can be a fun and harmless activity, but when you have food allergies, sensitivities, or the such, kissing becomes a very dangerous thing.

Although developing a severe reaction from a kiss is rare and unusual, it is not unheard of. When kissing someone with a food allergy (whether it be a grandparent, parent, sibling, or date) try to avoid eating the food allergen.

Kissing safety for food allergic children and teens:
Before you pucker up:
  • Remind your kissing partner about your allergies;
  • Suggest your partner avoid eating serious allergens, if possible;
  • Ask your partner to minimize allergen exposure, such as by washing hands and face, or brushing teeth thoroughly, before kissing;
  • Carry appropriate medication and know how to use an injectable epinephrine kit;
  • Wear emergency medical identification (such as a Medic Alert® bracelet). 
Although food sensitivities are different than food allergies, it can be very helpful to follow the same rules above. Cross contamination of gluten, for instance, can happen in a variety of ways including kissing and even trace amounts can make a person with Celiac Disease very sick.

Celiac Fact:

Celiac disease is caused by the consumption of gluten a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. It is estimated that 83% of Americans who have celiac disease are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions.

A Big Shout Out- Thank You!

During the A to Z Challenge in April I received a blogging award from the wonderful, sweet Mary Hill of Mary-adering Mary is a mother, wife, dreamer, and writer. I met her during the A to Z Challenge and am so grateful.

Thank you, thank you Mary for this wonderful honor. You made my day!

 
 
Here are a few of my favs...daisies, yellow, frozen yogurt, superhero movies, Walking Dead, great music, the river, sitting by the swimming pool on a hot day, dogs, summer, sunshine, and happy people.

I will tweet my nominations as I pass on this great award to other wonderful bloggers! Thank you again Mary!

-Rebecca

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations!
My nephew is deadly allergic to peanuts. Hopefully he remembers to tell his girlfriends.

Aurora Smith said...

Hahah! My husband is allergic to all kinds of yummy things! :)

Dana said...

Congrats!

These are important reminders. Thanks. :)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks everyone!
@Alex- peanut allergies are very scary, so hopefully he will get in a habit of telling his friends/girlfriends about it.
@Aurora- Bummer.
@Dana- Thank you.

Susan Oloier said...

Even though my husband is deathly allergic to a few foods, I never would have considered this. Great info, Rebecca.

Tonja Drecker said...

Congratulations to the award! And an interesting post. I'd never thought about allergic reactions through kissing before, but it makes sense.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Congrats on your award, and thanks for the information on celiac disease. I've been tested for it as well as one of my children, thankfully it was negative.

Robin said...

Interesting. I never thought about kissing be a way to transfer allergies...

Julie Flanders said...

Yikes, I never thought about kissing as a way to transfer allergies.

Congrats on your well-deserved award!

A Beer for the Shower said...

But if I kiss my wife after eating something she's allergic to, she gets those wonderful plump, swollen lips that everyone's so fond of...

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

Rebecca, I nominated you for an award. Please visit: www.dhdune.blogspot.com to find out more.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks Everyone!!!

@Susan, @T Decker, @Robin, @Julie- I never would have thought of it either...only I was still having crazy reactions and was finally able to trace it back. I am super sensitive...

@Cathrina- I am so glad it was neg. Going gluten free is hard.

@A Beer For the Shower- Aaww your poor wife :)

@Deanie- I will check it out. Thank you so much!!! :)