Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Z-Zero and Characters From YA Books



ero/ Feeling Like a Loser




"I'm a loser!"

Everyone at one time or another has felt like a nothing, a zero, a loser. Life can take a toll on you and your self-esteem. It is important to increase your self-esteem by decreasing negative thoughts, trying new things, exercising, having fun, and so much more.

Here are some characters from YA books that feel like a zero but fight to stand up with high self-esteem...




August Pullman from Wonder by RJ Palacio wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid. Auggie is a hero full of heart and hope and stands up to the bullying.






(middle grade fiction)
Jessica, the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in; Alexia, a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next; Peter, class prankster and troublemaker; Luke, the brain; Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy Anna, whose home situation makes her an outcast; and Jeffrey, who hates school from Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea are all different and only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone.


Eight high school girls from The List by Siobhan Vivian. An intense look at the rules of high school attraction -- and the price that's paid for them. It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up. This is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, "pretty" and "ugly." And it's also the story of how we see ourselves, and how other people see us, and the tangled connection of the two.




Don't Forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.



Thank you all for joining me for the A to Z blogging challenge. I had a wonderful month getting to know everyone through commenting and posting. I am looking forward to more fun through out the following months. See you all in the blogosphere. Best to all!

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a feeling familiar to every teen.
Congratulations on finishing the Challenge!

Jenny said...

Yes, we've all felt that way, I think. I love that there's so much great YA fiction now that kids can relate to. These sound like great selections.

Happy Z Day!

Jenny at Choice City Native

Cathrina Constantine said...

I definitely remember feeling like a loser in high school. It was so debilitating. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog, Rebecca. So nice to meet such wonderful people. And Good Luck to you in the future.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Looking forward to reading Wonder. I've heard good things about it.

Congrats on finishing the challenge.

Brandon Ax said...

I always feel less read after your books you post, but I got some new titles to check out. Congrats on the finish.

Julie Flanders said...

I struggled with this a lot as a teen and even as an adult sometimes too. The funny thing is I've never say this sort of thing to anyone else but had no trouble saying it to myself!

I've really enjoyed the project you and Susan put together for the challenge. Great work!

Carrie-Anne said...

I felt more like a loser in junior high than in high school. I've been told I'd be a good fit for writing angsty YA, though that's probably far too close to home for me to even consider it!

Robin said...

Junior high school was the self esteem grabber. In high school, I found myself again. However, your premise remains the same: at some point time everyone feels like a loser. So true.

Andrea said...

Your challenge posts have been fabulous! I keep thinking one of these books is going to sparks my childrens' interest in reading for pleasure again!

Jeff Hargett said...

Meeting other great folks through these bloghops and challenges is the best part by far.

Mark Means said...

Yep, I think we've all been there...unfortunately.

Another place we've been (fortunately) is the finish line...we did it! Congrats on completing the challenge! :)

annisblogging said...

Great finish.
though its finished here, i think the journey never ends, it starts only.
Keep blogging.
Keep inform
Best
Ann

Dana said...

I've heard good things about the third book. I might just have to pick it up!

Congrats on making it through the A to Z! My TBR list is much, much longer because of you. ☺

Mark said...

You're no loser:) You just finished the A to Z challenge:)

Nick Wilford said...

This feeling can happen at any age, if only everyone was supportive and there were no bullies. Congrats on finishing the Challenge!

A Beer for the Shower said...

I remember that feeling as an awkward kid. Very not fun. I could have definitely used some books like those. I wonder if they still work for awkward adults?