Monday, April 29, 2013

Y-Youth Depression and Characters From YA Books



outh Depression





Teen Depression is serious medical issue. It is more than just a feeling of sadness. Depression is a medical issue that involves feelings of intense sadness, despair, hopelessness, and drains energy, motivation, and concentration. Depression affects one's ability to function daily.

Nearly 20% of teens experience depression.




Ryan from Try Not to Breathe by Jennifer Hubbard is sixteen, post-suicidal, and trying to figure out what to do with himself after a stint in a mental hospital.






 Elena from Blackbox by Julie Schumacher has an older sister who is diagnosed with depression and has to be admitted to the hospital. Elena can’t seem to make sense of their lives anymore.







 

Don't Forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.




Sources: www.cdc.gov, mayoclinic.com, kidshealth.org, nami.org

13 comments:

Brandon Ax said...

I have battle with this myself so I know first hand how much it can devastate your life.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Makes me glad I'm not a teen now.

A Beer for the Shower said...

I suffer from this as an adult and it's not easy, but there are a lot of natural things you can do to help keep your spirits high, rather than popping anti-depressants.

Dana said...

I agree with Alex. It seems like things are so much harder for teens now.

Robin said...

If more teens are depressed now than the relevant question is why? The drugs that they are on? Like ritalin and that junk? It is the hormones that are injected into our food? What is the source? Why are teens more depressed now than they were twenty years ago? Too much TV and not enough time outdoors? How can we turn this around????

Julie Flanders said...

I've struggled with this myself and it's so sad to think how many teens are dealing with this issue. Another very important cause.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Not surprising that teens suffer from this with all the stress they're under. My daughter's boyfriend does and it's hard for her sometimes when he gets really depressed.

Andrea said...

I am torn on whether I want to read these (as interesting as they sound)

Cathrina Constantine said...

I agree. Two of my daughters went through teenage depression and it was devastating. I didn't think we were going to make it out alive. Thank God for wonderful counselors, school psychologists and etc. for all their help.

Mark Means said...

I think with all the hormone and chemical changes teens go through, it's no wonder that many of them wind up depressed.

It's a trying time, but one we should strive to help them through.

Nick Wilford said...

I'm glad there are books out there that tackle this devastating issue. It affects too many young people - the teenage years are difficult enough even without suffering depression.

Jeff Hargett said...

20% of teens. This, I would call an epidemic and tragic. Way too young to be so sad. And way too frequent.

Jackie said...

Adding these bks to my list!
And is that a new cover/header?! If it's not, I can't believe I'm just now noticing. But I LOVE it. You look gorgeous!