Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N-Nicotine Abuse and Characters From YA Books



icotine Abuse 





10-15% of high school students smoke and around 5% use smokeless tobacco regards of the health risks and complications. Teens start using tobacco for many reasons, including peer pressure. Quitting is hard.

Here are some characters in YA books that are known for smoking...



Alaska Young from Looking for Alaska by John Green is a literate, articulate, and beautiful girl who is reckless and adventurous. She teaches Miles to drink, smoke, and plot elaborate pranks. As Alaska's story unfolds, the depth of her unhappiness becomes obvious.







Ponyboy and the Greasers Gang from The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton all smoked Cigarettes. The novel itself is a coming of age novel published in 1967.






 


Don't forget about the power of three!!!

As part of the A-Z Challenge, we at Moxie Writers have decided to use the power of three, linking Moxie Writers with our author sites. So what does that look like?

Moxie Writers will briefly address YA causes or tough issues facing teens and organizations that aid in the cause/issue.

At Rebecca’s site, she will share characters from books that centers around the cause/tough issue.

At Susan’s site, she will share a song with some lyrics that pertains to the cause/tough issue.


sources: http://teens.drugabuse.gov, http://www.projectknow.com/

8 comments:

Elizabeth Seckman said...

When I was in high school, the school brought in speakers to inform students of the hazards of substance abuse. During the lecture, the speaker made the comment that smoking heightened the effects of alcohol, so it made you drunker quicker. That weekend the number of teen smokers at my school exploded.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've always thought it was disgusting and never had the urge to start.

Mark Means said...

My dad has been smoking since he was thirteen....thankfully, I never picked up the habit.

I remember 'The Outsiders' well.

Julie Flanders said...

I loved The Outsiders so much.

Glad I never started smoking.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Elizabeth- That is horrible. A good intention clearly gone bad.

@alex- I'm with you. I always thought it was gross. And I get pretty freak out about my health so one look at what it might do to me and I stayed clear.

@Mark- I'm glad you never got into it. A habit/addiction that is very hard to break.

@Julie- I loved the Outsiders, too. Great book and they did a great job with the movie, too.

Thanks everyone for stopping by and commenting. Great to "see" you all! :)

Morgan said...

You're always saying so many important things, Rebecca. Love your blog!

Andrea said...

Oh, the Outsiders...Nothing gold can stay (sniff)

Jeff Hargett said...

Nicotine is indeed a tough habit to kick. I started at 15. I'm 49 now and haven't smoked for three and a half months, though I'm using the eCigs. Still getting nicotine, but rid myself of the stink and most of the health woes. In time, the nicotine should be history as well.