Thursday, April 11, 2013

J-Juvenile Delinquency and Detention and Characters From YA Books



uvenile Delinquency and Detention

In America's criminal justice systems, a Youth Detention Center or Juvenile Detention Center also known as "juvie" is a secure residential facility for youth who have been arrested and detained.

Here are some characters from YA books that focus on juvenile detention or delinquency...




Mark Salzman from True Notebooks by Mark Salzman is a best selling author who paid a reluctant visit to a writing class at L.A.'s Central Juvenile hall, a lockup for violent teenage offenders, many of them charged with murder.







Cover

Steve Harmon from Monster by Walter Dean Myers is a sixteen year old boy on trial for murder. He is accused of being involved in a robbery that resulted in the death of the drug store owner. But was Steve really the lookout who gave the "all clear" to the murderer, or was he just in the wrong place at the wrong time?







Dylan Dawson from Take Me There by Carolee Dean is a seventeen year old boy trying to pull his life together after his release from juvenile hall. But going straight isn’t easy, and he can’t seem to keep out of trouble. He heads south for Texas, on the run and in search of his father. When Dylan finds him, he certainly gets answers—but they’re answers to questions he wishes he’d never asked.




Don't Forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.


12 comments:

Jackie said...

I haven't heard of these, but I'll be adding them to my list. Thanks for the info, Rebecca!

Julie Flanders said...

I'm really interested in Salzman's book! I think there are probably few places more depressing than a juvie, I give him credit for going to one and I'm interested in what he found.

Dani said...

These look interesting. You are really doing great with this challenge.
Dani @ Entertaining Interests
#warriorminion

Unknown said...

Good post, very thought provoking. I'll have to check out those books.
http://www.melanieshulz.blogspot.com

Jessica Schley said...

Oh man, how could I forget about Salzman's book about this? He's been one of my favorite authors ever since I went to our little neighborhood library in search of FRANNY AND ZOEY and found Salzman shelved next to Salinger.

And I just read the back of MONSTER the other day--we have it on a promo table at work. Looks great.

Mark said...

Wow, I didn't even think about how this topic applies to YA. Both intriguing and scary.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Good word. Although, luckily myself, nor my kids had to endure 'juvie.'

Unknown said...

These look like great YA books. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Dana said...

I started Salzman's book but had to bring it back to the library before I finished. Thanks for the reminder that I need to check it out again!

saniya said...

Enjoying your posts. And now I'm flooded with books that I would absolutely lose to devour! :)

Grammy said...

Hello, my friend...anyone watching the news over the past few years has seen the violence among young people growing exponentially and it is so very disturbing. It would be wonderful if someone could solve the "why" problem, wouldn't it? Best regards to you. Ruby

Michael Di Gesu said...

Some really I interesting reads there. Especially the first one. How shicking that there are so many teenage murders.

When I think if juvi, I picture minor offenders. Trying to help these kids before they turn into REAL dangerous individuals... But sadly many are already.