Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I-Internet Abuse and Bullying



nternet Abuse and Bullying

Internet abuse and bullying is a major issues among teens. It can do lasting harm to young people.

Internet bullying can include sending threats, spreading rumors, posting harmful messages, pretending to be someone else, and so much more.

Here are some characters from YA books on internet and cyberbullying.



Claire from Tweet Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick is a #hopelessromantic and she can't believe it when when her dream guy starts following her on Twitter. She never thought he noticed her, and suddenly he seems to understand her better than almost anyone. But things get complicated when Claire realizes she’s falling for someone else, the last person she ever would have expected….






Three 16 year old girls from TTYl by Lauren Myracle experience some of the typical pitfalls of adolescence: boys, queen-bee types, a flirty teacher, beer, crazy parents, and more.









Madison MacDonald from Top 8 by Katie Finn is a 16 year old girl from Putnam, CT. Status: single. About Me: Everything in my life was working out. I had my three best friends, a brand-new boyfriend, and the lead in the school play. Aside from that history paper I hadn't started, things felt perfect...Until.








Don't Forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.

12 comments:

Suzi said...

My kids are elementary school age and we haven't experienced this yet, but it's scary to think about everything that goes on for kids these days. I guess the best thing is to stay informed and talk to them, and hopefully they'll never have to deal with these issues.

Julie Flanders said...

Bullying was a serious enough problem when I was in school, I can't really imagine how much it is amplified now due to cyberbullying. Definitely one of the dark sides to the Internet.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've heard some sad stories that ended in suicide due to Internet bullying.

Susan Oloier said...

Okay, I'm going to have to check Tweet Heart out.

Mark said...

No one likes bullies...ever. I'll go check out her blog, thanks:)

Nick Wilford said...

It's a really serious thing, especially as it is much less visible than "real world" bullying. It's good to have books out there pertaining to the issue.

Andrea said...

I am embarassed to admit that I didn't understand what instagram was. let alone that both of my kids were on it. I hate that I don't even know how to get on it!

Mark Means said...

Another serious topic that needs to be brought out into the light more.

I think it's great you're highlighting these type of issues, Rebecca...well done :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hey, Rebecca,

It amazes me how bullying spreads .... There seem to be no safe havens for kids anymore. But you and Susan are doing an awesome job getting the word out!

You are so welcome... Susan is a very special person and ad I get to know you better ... So are you.

Jessica Schley said...

Absolutely loving this Power of Three A-Z. I read Susan's post and went, "Ooooh what books are about *this*? Want to read!" And then I came over here. :)

Dana said...

Internet bullying scares me. My kids will have to face so many things that were unheard of back when I was in school. :(

Michelle said...

Nothing I despise more than "cyber-bullying"! Disgusting stuff! This is why I have always loved "blogging" vs any other social networking. Even on Pinterst, a site full of simple "links", I am seeing all kinds of hatred spelled out from stranger to stranger! (Awful and completely mindless).

Thanks for posting on this issue. I am also a part of the A-Z Challenge. Take care!

Michelle from:
ardourofadreamer.blogspot.com