Monday, April 1, 2013

A- Alcohol and Drug Abuse and Characters in Books

Today starts the Blogging from A-Z April Challenge where you blog each day of the month (excluding Sundays) starting with the letter A on April 1st and ending with the letter Z on April 30th.

A to Z Challenge [2013]

This year Susan Oloier and I decided to do the challenge with the power of three. Moxie Writers, Susan's blog and my blog will all be blogging under the same topic of YA causes/teen tough issues.

Over at Moxie Writers we will briefly address the issue/cause and then offer organizations that assist in the cause.

At Susan's site, she will share a song with some of the lyrics that pertain to the cause/issue.

And here at my site, I will share characters from books associated with the cause/issue.




lcohol and Drug Abuse



Teens may try drugs and alcohol for many different reasons including: trying to fit in, likes the way drugs/alcohol makes them feel, believes it makes them seem older, or to try new things and take risks. Use leads to abuse, and the consequences of abuse can be very devastating.

Here are some characters from books that center around drug and alcohol abuse.






Kristina from Ellen Hopkin's Crank is a straight-A honor roll student. When she decides to visit her dad for three weeks, she meets Adam who convinces her to try meth. When she returns home, she is addicted to the drug, and in turn, begins a downward spiral of her life.










Anonymous from Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks is a sensitive, troubled teenage girl who records her thoughts and concerns in a diary. She is addicted to drugs and eventually overdoses.

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm thankful I've never felt the urge to try drugs or became addicted to drinking.

Unknown said...

So many of these habits are started during the teen years. Good to be aware of the warning signs both behavioral and mental.

Julie Flanders said...

I agree with Alex, I'm so thankful I haven't struggled with substance abuse myself. I think it's great you guys are helping to spread awareness of issues like this through the A-Z. Great idea!

Susan Oloier said...

I'm with Alex and Julie. I never ventured down the drug path and drink next to nothing in the alcohol department.
I am so glad to be posting with you this April, Rebecca!
BTW...Crank is a tough, but good read.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'll plead the 5th! Glad you're raising awareness on this important topic. I know I went a bit wild during those teenage years because of unhappiness at home.

Andrew Leon said...

I've never had any issues, but I've dealt with plenty of teens with substance issues.

Unknown said...

Love the power of three idea. Here's another book for you list: Out of Reach by Carrie Arcos
Jenn @Scribbles From Jenn

Tonja Drecker said...

Great to see you spreading the awareness! Luckily, I never had problems in this area, although I knew several people who did.

Nick Wilford said...

Never been down the road of addiction but it's great these topics are out there in YA.

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is such a clever approach to the A to Z Challenge. As an older reader of YA books, I'll also like the titles I'll read about here.

Kelly said...

I read Go Ask Alice in junior high. I remember it being a bit dated, but an otherwise decent book.