Thursday, January 10, 2013

Where Have all the Good People Gone?

It's National Stalking Awareness Month. I read the statistics and I'm floored. I had no idea they were that high, especially since I haven't heard any news stories or read about any stalking incidents lately...it must be some over-blown statistic...right?

Wrong. Just last night as I was relaxing a bit and catching up on some current events- mostly the weather- low and behold, breaking news: a man arrested for severely injuring his ex-fiance. And get this, he had been stalking her for months. He even was wearing a motoring bracelet due to stalking charges.

And not only that, but I've been hearing story on top of story about rape and some of those stories have been about teens like in the case of Steubenville, Ohio.

And as I gear up for Teen Dating Abuse Awareness Month, I am reminded of the alarming statistics...1 in 3 teens have been in an abusive relationship. 1 in 3. I've seen that statistic a million times, yet each time I'm just as shocked as the first.

But what really saddened me was finding out the latest online trend with teens... As I was searching for "In the News" stories for my Thursday Moxie Writers post, I came across an alarming new meme called "Hey Girl, Did You Know..." This meme has gone viral. The post started with a mean tease posted on Tumblr. Tumblr took the pictures off, but it was too late. The picture went viral and a new meme was started up, along with a Facebook page. The page has over 40,000 following and has started a new trend-- "teen-shaming."  For this trend, teens snap pics of themselves or hijack pics of others and add captions or comments. These comments are sometimes playful, but most comments are harsh, mean, and extremely hurtful. These photos are tagged and end up going viral. I'm floored. At first glance, it even seems like a harmless prank, but it's not. The poster targets a specific girl...and of course that girl knows. Teen-shaming is an extreme way to bully others.


And this is where it starts- a simple, sometimes silly picture with added words. Do people really think this is okay and fun? It is not only hurtful but more than likely illegal. You can not defame nor harass.


I think this hits a little too close to home for me...I've had my picture hijacked before and nasty, hurtful comments added. It's not fun. It's hard to step away from it when it's in your face, in your own living room and millions of people can see it. I know it's not a reflection of me but a refection of the person who did it to me, yet still it hurts.


As I read these stories, I am more and more convinced that we need to stand up and speak out. It is so important to know what is happening so that we can do something to stop it- or at the very least become aware and promote change.


As teens, we need to let adults know, tell friends, get help and end this violence. As adults and parents, we need to become aware and help put a stop to it. In the end, we need to stop judging others!


Now, more than ever, WE NEED TO BE THE CHANGE. Please know that you can make a difference. Let's make kindness go viral instead!


Stand up and speak out against...



Make sure you head on over to Moxie Writers and read the full story on teen-shaming. It's alarming.





A Few Other Announcements and Updates...


Available Now
I am excited by how Break From You did in the first couple of months after release.  It by far exceeded my expectations. I feel like I still have no idea what I'm doing in this crazy world of publishing and especially have no idea how to get my name out there and make my book more visible. I'm plugging along and learning so much on my path. I'm loving every minute of it...even if I don't seem to have time to turn around. For me the most important thing is to bring awareness to things most people want to ignore, so for that I'm grateful. Thank you for supporting me and my book.

Available now at Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes and Noble



February is Teen Dating Abuse Awareness Month. I have been gearing up for the month. I will be doing loads of things (such as give-a-ways, deals, etc) through the month of February to help raise awareness with teen dating abuse. Make sure you join me! It's time we wear our hearts on our sleeve and speak out.

February also marks my one year blogging anniversary. Wow...it feels like just yesterday, I hit my first publish button on blogger. Crazy year.

On last thing- This weekend I will be speaking at a local library's writing group. My presentation will be on storyline and plot points. If you are local and are interested in attending please email me for details.

Have a great day- smile more...add a little kindness!

Best! :)






12 comments:

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Rebecca, this is a great post. You should tweet it if you haven't. It's so easy to become an abused teen. I discussed a little of that in my book.

Congrats with the success of your book. I'll put it on my to be read book list.

LTM said...

great post, RG! I actually HAD heard of that teen shaming thing. I think it's been going on a while, which just makes me angry and so so sad. We do have to stop this judging and abuse. It's not just mean, it's stupid. Great work spreading awareness.

I'm going to check out Break From You! Best, <3

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Things we just didn't have to deal with when we were teens! There was some taunting, but nothing on this level. When did everyone become so mean-spirited?

Dana said...

What a horrible meme! I'm scared for the things my own kids might encounter in a few years.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thank you so much! :) I'm glad you brought up teen abuse in your book- it is so important to talk about it and raise awareness. I am shocked.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks. I am also angry and sad by how long it's been going on. It has gotten worse and it needs to stop. I agree with you, it's not just mean, but so many other things. Thanks for commenting.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

The internet makes things so much worse, doesn't it? These pictures go viral in a manner of minutes- something we never had to deal with. It needs to stop. Internet etiquette needs to be taught.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Agreed. A world (internet) we didn't have to deal with.

Morgan said...

I am so terrified for my kids to be teens... it's *such* a different world today then it was for me... with how easy pictures are so accessible on our phones and everything else... man. Really eye opening post, Rebecca. It's heart breaking. :/

Cherie Reich said...

It's shocking those statistics, and I had heard of the teen shaming. Of course, none of these things are new. The internet just makes it more known and viral. Of course, it still doesn't make it right.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Rebecca,

Terrific post. I am also shocked by the statistics. AND we DO NEED TO STOP Judging. Kids pic this up from adults first. IF we cut it off at the pass, than this could change.

Congrats on the success of you book. I wish you much more success in 2013! I will be back often to continue to support you next month...

Michael

Rachelle Ayala said...

Hi Rebecca, we need to be vigilant and make sure our kids know that certain things are not funny. I can easily see how the Internet and Photoshopping can make things worse than in the old days when it was just numbers on a bathroom wall.

Congrats on your new book. If you like to do a guest post on my blog, I'd love to have you. We all need to be more aware of dating abuse.

Rachelle