Friday, November 23, 2012

Welcome, Kendra Merritt



Today the Speak Out Against...book tour is over at my good friend and writing buddy, Kendra Merritt's site. Susan and I are over there, talking about our writing process and how we came up with the ideas for our books, Outcast and Break From You.

Speak Out  YA Book Tour

But before you go...

I would like to welcome my good friend and writing buddy, Kendra Merritt to my blog today.

 

Hello Kendra, How are you?
I'm good. 

What inspired you to write your first book?
I read a lot as a child and started getting stories in my head. I was affected by all the books I read and wanted to see if I could write the same stories that I loved. 

What inspired you to write about characters with disabilities?
I didn’t start writing about people with disabilities until I was twenty-one. That was when I had a second scoliosis surgery and a bad reaction to an epidural which resulted in partial paraplegia. While I was in rehab learning to walk again, I realized that all the heroic characters I read about could run and jump and swing a sword. I never saw any that looked and walked like I do now. And then it occurred to me: why didn’t I write some? Maybe if I wanted to read about fantasy heroes who live with disabilities, other people might too.

Do you have a specific writing style?
I try to blend in humor with adventure and heavy emotional themes.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
You can be who ever you want to be.

What books have most influenced your life most?
Pretty much anything by Tamora Pierce because they were the books I grew up with. They taught me what is meant to tell a story.

What are your current projects?
Catching Cinders, a retelling of Cinderella. Cindy must decide to accept the way the world sees her or to prove she's someone worth fighting for.
By Winged Chair, a retelling of Robin Hood where Maid Marion gets to kick butt from a wheelchair

Skin Deep, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast
Working Title- The Robber Bridegroom, a retelling of the Robber Bridegroom about a 17 year-old cop with OCD who has to reconnect with her vigilante father.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The editing process.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Just write. Stop thinking about writing and write.

Thank you, Kendra for joining us today!
  
Make sure you head on over to Kendra Merritt's site.

About Kendra
Kendra is an author and avid reader living in Denver with her very tall husband, about 1300 books, and a goofy black monster masquerading as a service dog. She likes to talk about writing, reading and life with a disability - and how those three mix. You can find Kendra at her blog, www.kendramerritt.com 

1 comment:

Susan Oloier said...

I think there need to be more differently-abled main characters. I would absolutely love to read one of Kendra's books. I love the twist on the fairy tales.
Wonderful interview!